by Mags, 11 March 2007
Before the “Vagina Monologues” there was………. Lily Tomlin’s one woman 1986 stage play - “The Search for Signs of Inteligent Life in the Universe”, which, because it was such a hit it was turned into a film by the same name - “The Search for Signs of Inteligent Life in the Universe”. CLICK HERE for Roger Ebert’s review.
Written by partner Jane Wagner, who won the prestigious Peabody Award for her first play in 1969, the script for this play-turned-film is a wonderfully witty and clever look at a smattering of the roles we humans adopt in life.
Some may object to the heavy handed feminist overtones included, but isn’t the unhealthy imbalance of many of society’s and culture’s treatment of women, cause enough to necessitate the “search for signs of intelligent life” on the planet, if not “in the universe”?
Tomlin’s bristle-ly exterior hides a humanitarian that is not only thoughtful, but also elastic and hysterical. Ms. Tomlin’s virtuoso performance alone makes this film, a must-see film, but the fact that she also makes you laugh at the ridiculous everyday things we accept without question, highlights many of the incomprehensible un-intelligences we encounter so regularly that we become hardened and cynical.
I love the title, and it inspired this month’s iCubed theme - “INTELLIGENT LIFE & ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE”.
So, I implore you all to SEE THIS FILM! and, get ready for an intense session of belly laughing …
- It’s a more ridiculing, divisive humor today, especially with the advent of political incorrectness, which is a license to be as ridiculing and awful about certain groups… There should be room for everybody, absolutely, and then the culture is going to decide the prevailing weight. We can’t decide it individually. Nobody is here without a reason. … I always had a different sensibility. I like a huge range of comedy — from broad and farcical, the most sensitive, the most understated — but I always wanted my comedy to be more embracing of the species rather than debasing of it.
Contributions of Jane Wagner
Material in Tomlin’s acts credited to Jane Wagner at Tomlin’s official site.
- Don’t be afraid of missing opportunities. Behind every failure is an opportunity somebody wishes they had missed.
- For fast acting relief, try slowing down.
- If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library?
- If you read a lot of books, you’re considered well-read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you’re not considered well-viewed.
- Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world.
- The best mind-altering drug is truth.
- The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you’re still a rat.
- Why is it when we talk to God we’re said to be praying — but when God talks to us, we’re said to be schizophrenic?
[And, for another hiliarious film starring Lily Tomlin, rent funnyman Steve Martin’s movie - “ALL OF ME“]
Enjoy! - Mags, 11 March 2007
- ViannH-17 reveals her "Best Ways of Revising"
- KarinaW-14 "The Sausage Dog"
- JoshuaSH-13 reviews DEAD OR ALIVE - 4 (game)
- ViannH-17 muses about "Tech: Pros and Cons"
- BryanC-18 asks, "Is the new music video, 'GENTLEMEN' released on Youtube by Psy a big let down?"
- TiffantC-13 on a brief history of Luigi Rodolfo Boccherini
iCUBED.us is a webazine for, by, and about youth aged 13 to 25.
As a regular blogging intern/columnist for iCUBED.us writing around a particular topic, your opinions will be read by students around the world and you end your year-long Blogger's Internship with a writing portfolio as excellent as you make it. We provide the space and some general guidelines, you provide the words.
Any work you submit will not be returned, so please keep a copy. If you mail us a self addressed envelope we will acknowledge receipt by return post.
All copyrights are assigned to iCUBED.us once works are submitted to us. We retain non-exclusive rights to publish all such work in any format. All content on the website becomes the property of iCUBED.us, however, all contributors retain the right to republish their works elsewhere, with written notice to iCUBED.us.
- Empowering English literate Youth ... iCUBED.us is a webzine for, by, and about THINKING TEENS, our motto is INTEGRITY IN INTELLIGENCE ...