You can follow in our footsteps and read what we are reading, OR, read books of your own choosing -- hopefully with the themes we have listed below:
June -- NATURE, GARDENS, SCIENCE and ANIMALS
1. The Rodale Book of Composting, by Grace Gershuny and Deborah L. Martin
"The essential guide to composting for all gardeners and enviromentally conscious people
Composting is fast becoming a household word. Gardeners know it is the best way to feed the soil, while others look to composting as a way to dispose of grass clippings, autumn leaves, and tree trimmings. The Rodale Book of Composting offers:
* Easy-to-follow instructions for making and using compost
* Helpful tips for apartment dwellers, suburbanites, farmers and community leaders
* Ecologically sound solutions to growing waste disposal problems" (Amazon Book Description...READ MORE)
2. Next of Kin: My Conversations with a Chimpanzee, by Roger Fouts and Stephen Tukel Mills
"For 30 years Roger Fouts has pioneered communication with chimpanzees through sign language--beginning with a mischievous baby chimp named Washoe. This remarkable book describes Fout's odyssey from novice researcher to celebrity scientist to impassioned crusader for the rights of animals. Living and conversing with these sensitive creatures has given him a profound appreciation of what they can teach us about ourselves. It has also made Fouts an outspoken opponent of biomedical experimentation on chimpanzees. A voyage of scientific discovery and interspecies communication, this is a stirring tale of friendship, courage, and compassion that will change forever the way we view our biological--and spiritual--next of kin." (Amazon Book Description... READ MORE)
3. Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (counts as two books) , by Douglas R. Hofstadter
Douglas Hofstadter’s book is concerned directly with the nature of “maps” or links between formal systems. However, according to Hofstadter, the formal system that underlies all mental activity transcends the system that supports it. If life can grow out of the formal chemical substrate of the cell, if consciousness can emerge out of a formal system of firing neurons, then so too will computers attain human intelligence. Gödel Escher and Bach is a wonderful exploration of fascinating ideas at the heart of cognitive science: meaning, reduction, recursion, and much more. (Amazon Book Description... READ MORE)
- ViannH-17 reveals her "Best Ways of Revising"
- KarinaW-14 "The Sausage Dog"
- JoshuaSH-13 reviews DEAD OR ALIVE - 4 (game)
- ViannH-17 muses about "Tech: Pros and Cons"
- BryanC-18 asks, "Is the new music video, 'GENTLEMEN' released on Youtube by Psy a big let down?"
- TiffantC-13 on a brief history of Luigi Rodolfo Boccherini
iCUBED.us is a webazine for, by, and about youth aged 13 to 25.
As a regular blogging intern/columnist for iCUBED.us writing around a particular topic, your opinions will be read by students around the world and you end your year-long Blogger's Internship with a writing portfolio as excellent as you make it. We provide the space and some general guidelines, you provide the words.
Any work you submit will not be returned, so please keep a copy. If you mail us a self addressed envelope we will acknowledge receipt by return post.
All copyrights are assigned to iCUBED.us once works are submitted to us. We retain non-exclusive rights to publish all such work in any format. All content on the website becomes the property of iCUBED.us, however, all contributors retain the right to republish their works elsewhere, with written notice to iCUBED.us.
- Empowering English literate Youth ... iCUBED.us is a webzine for, by, and about THINKING TEENS, our motto is INTEGRITY IN INTELLIGENCE ...