But so often we hear horrible, gruesome stories of bride burning and the ongoing dowry tradition in India; of affluent Chinese girls - less than 100 years ago - having had their feet broken and bound because it was considered beautiful to have tiny lotus feet, but that was also - one suspects - a way to prevent women from running away from husbands they didn't choose to marry. Even in contemporary Western cultures girls are often saddled with what is referred to as 'low self esteem', a residue of the way that society judges girls and women.
In our modern Western world, we have fashion magazines dictating that girls should be so thin that they look like walking clothes hangers, we have master marketing folks whose job it is to make us feel insecure about what we look like and smell like, so that we buy their make-up, diet products, vitamins and perfumes.
Well, enough. Maybe it's time to start 'building' beauty and confidence from the inside out. And so, we'd like to introduce Debra Beck, author of My Feet Aren't Ugly!: A Girl's Guide to Loving Herself from the Inside Out, a book teaching girls how to grow up with confidence. Read her interview in iCUBED.us' INTERVIEW section.
Author DEBRA BECK Talks About Her Work and the Importance of Knowing Yourself by Margaret Chen, posted on 20 Dec 2007
- EXPLORING THE PLANET with FAMOUS PLANT EXPLORERS (Series)... by Neil Riley & Margaret Chen
- Degrees are not for everyone, CHINA DAILY HK EDITION - By Paul Surtees
- VALENTINE's DAY 2014 ... Ellen Page Speaks out at HRCF's Time to Thrive Conference ... by Margaret Chen
- Dine in space becomes possible: scientists announce that space-grown vegetables are safe to eat, by Chelsea Chung
- False Advertisement: Man in China Wins Lawsuit against Wife for having Ugly Baby... by Chelsea Chung
- Pope Francis, Humanizing the Catholic Church, is Time Magazine's Person of the Year, 2013
iCUBED.us is a webazine for, by, and about youth aged 13 to 25.
As a regular blogging intern/columnist for iCUBED.us writing around a particular topic, your opinions will be read by students around the world and you end your year-long Blogger's Internship with a writing portfolio as excellent as you make it. We provide the space and some general guidelines, you provide the words.
Any work you submit will not be returned, so please keep a copy. If you mail us a self addressed envelope we will acknowledge receipt by return post.
All copyrights are assigned to iCUBED.us once works are submitted to us. We retain non-exclusive rights to publish all such work in any format. All content on the website becomes the property of iCUBED.us, however, all contributors retain the right to republish their works elsewhere, with written notice to iCUBED.us.
- Empowering English literate Youth ... iCUBED.us is a webzine for, by, and about THINKING TEENS, our motto is INTEGRITY IN INTELLIGENCE ...